Sunday, November 18, 2007

Miracles

Do you believe in miracles? I think I do. I am sure some big miracles happen every day, but the small ones are hard to ignore. My family is going through a stressful time trying to sell our home and trying to find our way through the winding path of Middle School and Elementary school. Conferences were this week and don't even get me started. Both kids are in special education. They have "learning differences" which in our day would be called dyslexia. It's not easy. I was out in my back yard talking to myself (I know... a bit crazy) repeating what I usually say when alone "it's going to work out, I'm going to be okay, it's going to work out, I'm going to be okay" when I looked up. My yard is a narrow yard surrounded by retaining walls. There is what we lovingly call "the cliff" in the backyard where there is just stone. Out of the stone, alone with dead leaves all around was a single flower that I swear was Queen Anne's Lace (my mother's favorite wild flower) blooming in the freezing cold. Was this a sign? I like to think it is my mother letting me know that somehow, some way things are going to work out and that she is with me. It's comforting. Of course, she had a quirky sense of humor, so when the fireplace backed up and filled the house with smoke I had the distinct feeling that she was laughing. Thankfully, today the fireplace is behaving and we don't have something else wrong with the house... for now anyway.

2 comments:

Ruby said...

You gave me a lump in my throat. I just know that the queen anne's lace is meant to be a sign of comfort to you.
P.S. Quirky sense of humor is an understatement!

Ruby said...

I tagged you for a meme! I hope you'll play.